BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND!
Last year I taught a 3-hour in-person workshop on self-publishing at Writespace in Houston. It was great fun, and the feedback from students was so positive that Writespace asked me to teach the course again, which I’ll be doing on Thursday, February 28, from 6 to 9PM. If you’re local to the Houston area and interested in being an indie author, come join us.
Writespace limits the class to 15 students and last time it sold out pretty quickly, so if you’re interested please sign up today.
Here’s the course description for Self-Publishing 101
Have you ever wanted to publish your own book? The publishing world has changed, and now it’s easier than ever for independent authors to self-publish. But how do you get started? How do you find a cover artist or an editor? How do get your title up on Amazon? And how do you get the word out about your book? In this workshop, Pushcart Prize nominee and 2017 Independent Press Award winner D.L. Young will support you in answering these and other questions to ensure a strong launch on your self-publishing journey.
The topics we’ll cover include:
– Writing software: Word, Scrivener, etc.
– Cover art: Why it’s so important and how to find a good cover artist
– Editors and proofreaders: Why you need them and how to find them
– Book creation logistics: eBook and print book formatting and production, ISBNs, and copyrights
– Publishing platforms: Pros and cons of selling “Amazon exclusive” vs. “going wide”
– Pricing: How to determine your book’s best price in various formats
– Marketing and advertising: Finding readers and reviewers, choosing mailing list providers, purchasing Facebook and Amazon ads, conducting Goodreads Giveaways and live events